Dry Eye Treatment at Atlantic EyeCare
Tears are necessary to provide moisture and lubrication to keep your eyes comfortable. Without a steady flow of tears, you can suffer from a common eye condition called dry eye. At Atlantic EyeCare in Virginia Beach, VA, we provide treatment for a variety of eye conditions, including dry eye.
What Causes Dry Eye?
A lack of tear production can come from multiple sources. Common causes of dry eye include:
- Aging: Your tear production naturally decreases as you get older. It is a common condition for women after menopause.
- Diseases: Certain diseases can affect your ability to produce tears, such as arthritis or Sjorgren's syndrome.
- Medication: Side effects from medications can affect your ability to produce tears.
- Not Blinking Enough: The frequent use of electronic devices hampers your ability to blink. It helps if you blink about every ten seconds. Take small breaks from your computer devices at work and home after every 20 minutes of use.
- Contact Lenses: Complications from wearing contact lenses can lead to dry eye.
The Symptoms of Dry Eye
Dry eye is uncomfortable. The condition makes your eyes have gritty and scratchy sensations. Other common symptoms include:
- Stinging sensation
- Blurry and red eyes
- Painful and irritated eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- A feeling of something lodged in your eyes
Treating Dry Eye
There are a variety of treatment options for dry eye. Dr. Seim will perform a thorough examination to diagnose and treat your dry eyes properly. Some of our treatments include:
- Artificial Tears: Lubricating eye drops provide quick relief and moisture back into the eyes.
- Medication: The medication will reduce inflammation around your eyes and you may be given antibiotics to stimulate oil production.
- Medical Procedures: Different procedures such as closing the tear ducts or clearing blocked oil glands can also help with chronic dry eye.
- Lifestyle Changes: We will educate you on the best practices to reduce the effects of dry eye.
Get Dry Eye Treatment in Virginia Beach, VA
Dry eye is a nagging condition that can hinder your daily routine functions. Our optometrist at Atlantic EyeCare will diagnose your dry eyes and provide many options for treatment. Call our team today at (757) 340-7070 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.